Year: 2019 | Month: April | Volume 9 | Issue 2

Secondary Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anaemia in Dogs in Chennai,Tamil Nadu


DOI:Coming soon...

Abstract:

Immune-mediated hemolytic anemia (IMHA) is the most common autoimmune disease in dogs. This study was conducted to study the incidence and clinicopathological changes of secondary IMHA, which is having any secondary underlying triggering causes. The anaemic dogs brought with clinical signs such as pale or icteric mucous membranes were screened for IMHA by saline agglutination and spherocyte count and confirmed by flow cytometry. The positive cases were further subjected to haematology, biochemistry, coagulation profile, MAT and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for the diagnosis of underlying secondary causes like Babesia spp, Ehrlichia canis and Leptospira spp. (secondary IMHA). Thirty two cases were positive for IMHA, out of which thirteen cases were primary IMHA (17.3 %) and remaining nineteen cases were secondary IMHA (82.7 %) due to underlying causes such as Babesia gibsoni (13), Ehrlichia canis (3) and Leptospira spp. (3) respectively. Highest incidence was observed in Labrador dogs with age group of 2-8 years in male dogs. The most common clinicopathological findings were anaemia with reduced Hb, PCV and RBC, leucocytosis, neutrophilia, monocytosis, thrombocytopenia, elevated PT, BUN, Creatinine, ALT, ALP, hypoalbuminemia and hyperbilirubinaemia.



© This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited





Print This Article Email This Article to Your Friend

@ Journal of Animal Research | In Association with Association of Mastitis

6814905 - Visitors since March 23, 2019